THE GOOD: Pat Burrell. Pat the Bat hit his second home run of the spring, a 2-run shot. Man it is going to be fun watching Burrell this summer, especially when he is hot…Ben Zobrist. Benny Boo Boo is slowly turning in to one of our favorite players. Mrs. Professor calls him “The Good Christian” as opposed to Gabe Gross who is “The Bad Christian” because as she puts it, “he sucks.” Well, Zorilla went 3-4 with a double, all while spending time in center and at first base.
THE BAD: Scott Kazmir. A walk, a home run, two singles and an error by Reid Brignac led to 3 first inning runs. Kid K would give up 5 runs total (4 earned) in 4 innings on 8 hits, including 2 home runs…Derek Rodriguez. Rodriguez struck out 4 in 2 innings, but gave up 2 runs on 4 hits…The Port Charlotte Radar Gun. According to the radar gun at the park, Jason Isringhausen’s last 2 pitches were a 99 mph fastball and a 96 mph slider. Anybody think those numbers are accurate?…Red Sox Fans. What is a fan doing at Port Charlotte wearing a Red Sox jersey and what is said fan doing cheering after catching Pat Burrell’s home run? Go back to Bos, oh wait, dude has prolly never even been to Boston…Morgan Ensberg. Ensberg committed 2 more errors at third base in the same inning. Not a good spring for Ensberg defensively.
THE TELLING: Brian Shouse probably faced more right handed batters yesterday, six, than he will all season.
DEVIL DOGS WEBTOPIA…
- An interview coming up later this morning.
- Despite assertions from WBC TV commentary that the US squad would not add another player to the roster, Evan Longoria has been added to replace Chipper Jones for their semifinal matchup. [St. Pete Times]
- The Rays thought parking was a problem early on? We can only imagine how they feel about all the wild boar shit. We are not even joking. And the Cubs fans think the goat curse is bad. [The Heater]
- Apparently there is a bug going through the clubhouse and Scott Kazmir was suffering through it. Why the Rays still sent him out to the mound, we have no idea. [Rays Report]
- BJ Upton was the DH in a minor league game going 0-3. [The Heater]
- “I took my normal swing and I didn’t feel anything, so it’s another roadblock we’ve passed,” Upton said. Marc Topkin called it “one of the best strikeouts of his career.” [St. Pete Times]
- The Rays have accepted Eddie Morlan back for the price of $25K, meaning the Rays actually profited $25K for Morlan spending a few weeks in Brewers camp. [MLB]
- Dennis Maffezzoli takes a look at how Pat Burrell is adjusting to life as a DH. Burrell says he is going to have to find ways to stay active in between at bats. [Sarasota Herald-Tribune]