Image at right comes courtesy of UniWatch. Which is great because it just made us throw up a little in our mouths. And interesting to see that Rocco is still wearing his Rays batting gloves. Surprised that his new teammates let him get away with that.
DEVIL DOGS WEBTOPIA…
- The Rays have signed second baseman Adam Kennedy to a minor league deal. Kennedy was released last week by the Cardinals who did not see a spot for Kennedy and his $4 million salary in their starting lineup. The Cards are on the hook for all of that except about $400K the Rays will pay. Kennedy hit .280/.321/.372 with an 82 OPS+ in 115 games. He was 3rd in plus/minus for second basemen last year. [Rays Report]
- The Rays have successfully blocked Scott Kazmir’s bid to play in the World Baseball Classic. Marc Lancaster has quotes from both sides, all of which are fairly predictable. [Rays Report]
- Jeff Niemann is excited about the opportunity to compete for a job in the rotation but admits that anything in the majors is fine by him. [Tampa Tribune]
- Joe Maddon spoke about the depth of the bullpen. [MLB]
- For the always budget conscious Rays, there appears to be some concern on the number of baseballs that are being lost in Spring Training…But the good news is, if you travel to Port Charlotte and want some baseballs, just bring a swimsuit. [St. Pete Times]
- Maybe this headline is sarcasm? Because we seem to remember Morgan Ensberg, Gabe Kapler, Matt Joyce (who will likely start in AAA) and about 36 relief pitchers being added this winter. The Rays are up to their eyeballs in depth. [The Rays Party]