SI.com wrote a story on Carl Crawford and his outlook for 2009. Crawford says he is healthy and feels “fast again.” Also interesting is the assertion that CC’s hamstring issues were not due entirely to the Trop’s FieldTurf, although it dis play a factor.
Especially with the 27-year-old Crawford healthy again after missing seven weeks with a finger injury last summer and playing the entire 2008 season with a hamstring problem caused by a 2006 ankle injury that’s finally healed.
The article mentions something we have heard before, that CC adjusted his off-season workouts to compensate for the affects of the FieldTurf.
With all of the success enjoyed by the Rays in 2008, Crawford was a bit of a forgotten figure. While we have doubts about whether he will still be with the Rays in 2010, a healthy Crawford could go a long ways to once again being once of the most exciting players in baseball in 2009.
(that picture has absolutely nothing to do with Crawford, we just find it somewhat amusing. That’s all. Don’t judge.)
DEVIL DOGS WEBTOPIA…
- Marc Topkin has some great quotes from Fernando Perez and Joe Maddon during the hazing of players in their first big league camp, in which the players had to dress as Hula girls and serve drinks. Our favorite is Perez on Tim Beckham: “We urged people not to tip him because he’s already overpaid.” [St. Pete Times]
- Add Justin Ruggiano to the long list of Rays that got married this off-season. He also had laser surgery on his eyes that took nearly three months to heal. [St. Pete Times]
- SI.com takes a look at the AL East teams heading into Spring Training (thanks James). [SI.com]
- Jonny Gomes says he holds no ill-feelings towards the Rays for the way he was handled last season. [Springfield News-Sun]
- The Sports Psychologist that worked with Matt Garza last season will meet with the entire team today and will be available to all the players all season. [Bradenton Herald]
- Jayson Stark of ESPN.com wrote a feature piece on the Rays in which he speculates that the next chapter for the Rays has a chance to be even better than the first chapter. The piece also includes video fantasy preview of BJ Upton. [ESPN]
- Evan Longoria would like to mold his career after Derek Jeter. [Tampa Tribune]