BJ Upton hopes to be in the opening day lineup in Boston, but cautions that he may not join the team until they return home from their roadtrip a week later. Upton has been warned that the potentially cold weather in Boston and Baltimore opening week may cause his surgically repaired shoulder to ache.
We also learn from Bill Chastain that Upton brought along his dog, Deuce, to his workout at Tropicana Field yesterday. Deuce is a Rhodesian Ridgeback. No word on whether Deuce took a deuce in the outfield or whether Justin Ruggiano would have been required to clean it up.
Upton may miss Opening Day [MLB]
DEVIL DOGS WEBTOPIA…
- The Rays signed Gabe Gross to a one-year deal avoiding arbitration. The deal is for $1.255 million…We had projected Gross at $1.3 million. [The Heater]
- Kevin Gengler will be joining Tyler Hissey today at 1pm on the latest installment of the “Rays Digest Podcast”. The show can be downloaded later. [Rays Digest]
- Several Rays comment on the recent signing of Pat Burrell. [Tampa Tribune]
- Scott Kazmir has employed a new off-season training program and has added nearly 20 pounds of muscle as a result…It will be interesting to see if Kid K now looks older than 12, and whether we should change his nickname to “Beef K”…In the same piece we learn that the new alternate jersey will debut at home on May 1. [St. Pete Times]
- Tampa Bay Sports Blog wonders why the Rays ended up with Gabe Kapler over Rocco Baldelli. [Tampa Bay Sports Blog]
- Several owners have jumped on the “Salary Cap” bandwagon. [Yahoo! Sports]