How good is it to be Evan Longoria these days? Las Vegas Weekly reminds us…
Tampa Bay Devil Rays third baseman Evan Longoria took Hugh Hefner’s VIP table at the Playboy Club with his eight friends for two hours atop the Palms and enjoyed several games of blackjack in between his dance floor duties with fans.
Of course, by “fans” they mean random Vegas hotties. And by “dance floor duties” they mean being a lucky son of a biscuit.
Dirtbag. He puts his pants on just like us, one leg at a time. Of course, after he puts his pants on, he gets to sit at Hugh Hefner’s VIP table and dance with “fans”.
For those suffering from baseball withdrawal as we are, following the links we present video of Willy Aybar hitting a home run for Licey in the Dominican Winter League.
DEVIL DOGS WEBTOPIA…
- Rays pitching prospect Jino Gonzalez was arrested at Tampa International Airport after an unloaded gun was discovered in his carry-on bag. Gonzalez made 37 appearances (11 starts) for double-A Montgomery in 2008, posting a 5.44 ERA with 68 strike outs and 57 walks in 87.2 innings. The left-hander was originally drafted in the 46th round of the 2002 draft. [Fox Sports]
- The Rays resigned Michel Hernandez to a minor league deal with an invite to Spring Training. The spring invite is simply due to the need for extra catchers in camp with so many pitchers needing work each day. During the season, Hernandez is likely to serve as the Rays’ “break glass only in case of emergency” catcher down at Durham. [The Heater]
- The Providence Journal caught up with Rhode Island native Dan Wheeler and spoke to him about his unusual rise to the big leagues. [Providence Journal]
- As usual Her Rays doesn’t disappoint with the imagery. This time it is her “New Years Rays-o-lutions” and an attempt to stay pure and stop reading so much smut. [Her Rays]
- Last night was Joe Maddon’s private dinner at the White House with President George Bush. [St. Pete Times]
- If you are interested, here is a news video clip featuring Joe Maddon’s recent effort to help raise money for his former high school. At this rate, we have a feeling Papa Joe is going to still be wearing that Rays Santa cap in the dugout next season. [YouTube]
- The King of Lists is back and this time he has outdone himself. David Chalk is now counting down the top 177 Devil Rays of all-time, starting with Kevin Witt…Witt was like the backup quarterback. For a while he was the most popular guy in the organization, but proved to be a four-A player. Since then he went to Japan was never heard from again. We assume he joined the Yakuza. [Bugs and Cranks]
- Just speculation on his part, but Buster Olney sees Pat Burrell landing with the Rays. [MLB Trade Rumors]
- No surprise that the Rays are involved, but Jon Heyman is reporting that four other teams have expressed interest in Ken Griffey Jr. While Griffey may prefer to play close to his Orlando home, he is clearly just one name on the Rays’ Plan B list for DH. [SI.com]
- The Examiner previews Carl Crawford. [Examiner]
- Peter Gammons has an interesting write up on baseball teams going young. [ESPN]
- ESPN includes BJ Upton on their list of players to watch in 2009. [ESPN]