Threaded comments now appear to be working. You can see them in action HERE.
DEVIL DOGS WEBTOPIA…
- The commission assigned by St. Pete Mayor Rick Baker, to recommend sites for the new Rays stadium, has recommended several sites, including two that are outside the city limits. And the city of St. Pete is not taking it well. The City Attorney sent a letter to ABC warning that moving the Rays outside of the city limits would be breaking a contract between the city and the team, more than just the lease…Why do we have a feeling that this is going to get uglier before it gets better? [St. Pete Times]
- The deadline for the Rays to reach agreements with their three remaining arbitration-eligible players is noon today. Dioner Navarro’s agent told Marc Topkin that he thinks that Navi and the Rays are done talking and will submit numbers for arbitration. During Andrew Friedman’s tenure, only twice have the Rays gone to arbitration, both times with Josh Paul, and both times the Rays won. [St. Pete Times]
- Jonny Gomes has signed a minor league deal with the Cincinnati Reds. Gomes, who will make $600K ($800K if in the big leagues), said he turned down more money from other teams. The Reds have an opening in left field. [The Heater]
- Curiously, baseball card companies seem to prefer featuring Evan Longoria doing anything but swinging a bat. [Wax Heaven]
- Jayson Stark takes a look at the provisional rosters submitted for the upcoming World Baseball Classic. [ESPN]
- Bugs and Cranks continues their countdown of the top 177 Devil Rays of all time. They are up to #169, Pete La Forest…Admit it. A few of you are surprised The Forest is so low. C’mon, remember when you thought he was the next Mike Piazza? [Bugs and Cranks]