Eyewitness News spoke with Baldelli’s father Tuesday, and he says iIt turns out Baldelli actually has a condition known as channelopothy.
This is certainly great news for Rocco and his family. If Baldelli can make a full recovery as suggested in the story, it will be fun to watch a healthy Rocco play baseball again, even if it is with another organization.
[9:42am] Ken Bell of ABC6 out of Providence, Rhode Island is reporting that Rocco Baldelli’s condition had been misdiagnosed. Doctors at the Cleveland Clinic, one of the top research hospitals in the country, are now saying the condition is channel-opathy.
The Baldelli family told me tonight that the Cleveland Clinic diagnosed his condition as channel-opathy, a non-progressive, highly treatable disease…channel-opathy is a disease involving dysfuntion of an ion channel. Channel-opathies are known to involve the ion channels for potassium, sodium, chlorida and calcium.
Bell also reports that the Baldelli family is saying the Red Sox have yet to contact Rocco who is a free agent.
Certainly the timing of the report is questionable with Baldelli as a free agent. But ABC6 is saying the report is coming from the Baldelli family, and ultimately we are not sure what Rocco stands to gain from fabricating a more favorable diagnosis. Any team that considers signing Baldelli will have their own doctors verify the report.
Drays Bay is calling the report “bunk” because they have never heard of the Cleveland Clinic, they don’t realize that misdiagnoses are actually common in rare conditions and because the original report is in all-caps, something news organizations used to use for short blurbs that were considered important or dramatic.
DEVIL DOGS WEBTOPIA…
- Last night marked the beginning of Joe Maddon’s third annual “Thanks-mas” event. [MLB]
- Matt Joyce was introduced to the media yesterday saying he wants to “raise some eyebrows” and show that he is ready to be an everyday starter at the big league level. [St. Pete Times]
- Andrew Friedman is still hopeful to add an “impact bat” and feels a deal will get done before the end of January. [The Heater]
- Scott Kazmir will be on the “Costas Now” on HBO tonight at 9:00 pm. He will join two members of the Phillies to discuss the World Series. So if you are into reliving painful experiences, let us know how he does. [Rays Report]
- The Rays have spoken by phone with relief pitcher Joe Nelson, who was non-tendered by the Marlins. [The Heater]