[Update: 8:24pm] The White Sox put away the Tigers 8-2. The Rays post-season opponent will now be determined tomorrow at 7:30 ET in a 1-game playoff.
[Update: 7:26pm] Gary Glover’s first pitch was a grand slam for Chicago. About right. 6-2 White Sox.
[Update: 7:24pm] White Sox have tied the game at 2-2 and Detroit just brought in Gary Glover with the bases loaded, which should just about a guarantee a White Sox win and a 1-game playoff tomorrow with the Twins.
[Update: 6:08pm] Game announcers just said the Twins are in Minneapolis with a charter ready to bring them to Chicago.
The White Sox and Tigers are currently in the 4th inning with the White Sox leading 1-0. A Chicago win will force a 1-game playoff tomorrow at home against the Twins…Interesting question: Are the Twins in Chicago today? Today’s game was delayed by rain for 3 hours. Would the Twins wait until after the game to travel? Can’t imagine they would fly in tomorrow morning.
DEVIL DOGS WEBTOPIA…
- Carl Crawford went 0-4 in 5 plate appearances during an Instructional League game today. He reported no pain and indicated he was playing at 100%. Crawford also says his hamstrings “feel good”, no doubt benefiting from the time off. [Rays Report]
- Reid Brignac is healthy and playing in the Fall Instructional League. Andrew Friedman said he would not hesitate to put Brignac on the postseason roster should an injury necessitate the addition of a middle infielder…Marc Lancaster also reports that Jeff Niemann, Mitch Talbot and Juan Salas have been told they will not be on the postseason roster. [Rays Report]
- Ben Zobrist was named co-player of the week. He is the 4th Ray to win the award this season. [Rays Report]
- Outs Per Swing has a nice list of the Rays’ top 10 pitching performances this season. A testament to this year’s squad, all 5 of the Rays’ starters make the list at least once. However, 7 of the outings came via Matt Garza (4) or James Shields (3) with the other 3 starters each appearing once. Our only argument might come with #1. We probably would have gone with Garza’s 1-hit, 10-K performance against the Marlins (#2 on the list). That was the most dominating performance we have ever seen by a Rays’ pitcher. Still, 1-hit shutout by Shields is hard to argue against. [Outs Per Swing]
- Sorry we missed this one yesterday…Baseball Digest Daily spoke with Buster Olney of ESPN.com during their weekly podcast. Among the topics covered were the Rays. You can catch the Rays segment at about the 35 min mark. [Baseball Digest Daily]
- The Angels “Ain’t S#!t” compared to the Rays. [Bugs and Cranks]
- The first pitches for games 1 and 2 will be thrown out by senior VP John Higgins, the Rays’ first-ever employee and Paul Azinger, the captain of the recent US Ryder Cup team, and Bradenton resident. [The Heater]