Durham 3, Indianapolis 2. Dan Johnson broke a 2-2 tie in the bottom of the 8th with a solo home run and the Durham Bulls clinched the Southern Division title…Wade Davis started and gave up only one hit, a single to the second batter of the game. He struck out 8 and walked 2 in 6 innings. He retired 14 of the final 16 batters he faced…Jeremy Cummings made his first appearance since winning a bronze medal with Team USA in the Olympics. He picked up the win after blowing a 2-0 lead…Mike DiFelice got the scoring started with a bases loaded single in the 4th that netted 2 runs…It is the Bulls 7th division title in 11 years.
Montgomery 10, West Tenn 2 (gm 1). Jeremy Hellickson struck out 9 in only 5 innings, but did give up 6 hits and walks leading to 1 run…Erold Andrus went 3-4 with 2 doubles…Gaby Martinez was 1-3 with a double and an RBI.
Montgomery 3, West Tenn 0 (gm 2). James Houser started and went 3 innings and 4 pitchers combined on a 3-hit shutout…Eddie Morlan pitched 2 perfect innings of relief, striking out 3.
Daytona 8, Vero Beach 1. Wade Townsend took the loss, giving up 6 runs and being pulled in the 4th inning.
Rome @ Columbus (DH; ppd. wet grounds)
Princeton @ Elizabethton (canc. rain). The D-Rays have concluded their season finishing 24-38, 13.5 games out of first place in their division. Lefty Matt Moore was the Rays top pitcher finishing 3rd in the league with 77 strikeouts, going 2-2 with a 1.66 ERA in 12 starts covering 54.1 innings…Second baseman Elias Otero finished 3rd in hitting with a .337 average, 6th with a .398 OBP and 4th with a .932 OPS…Burt Reynolds was the Rays top home run hitter with 6.
NOTES FROM DOWN ON THE FARM…
- With Princeton’s season ending yesterday, Tim Beckham will now join Hudson Valley for their final 11 games. For those of you in the NYC area, four of those games will be in either Brooklyn or Staten Island. [Poughkeepsie Journal]
- Reid Brignac was named to the IL’s postseason all-star team. [Durham Bulls]
- Reid Brignac was also named best defensive shortstop of the IL by Baseball America. (password required) [Baseball America]
- Chris Mason and Mike Wlodarczyk are the Rays’ 6th and 7th players named to participate in the Arizona Fall League. [Biscuits’ Batter]
- Here is a link to a video showing the Durham Bulls celebrating their Southern division title. [Yahoo! Video]