THE GOOD: Everything we threw last night somehow managed to miss the TV.
THE BAD: That was the worst thing the Rays could have done in the opener of this 2-game set. They walked out on the field at Yankee Stadium and took a gigantic dump right on the hallowed grounds. Losing the game, in and of itself, was not terrible. The Rays are on the road against a good team. What is bad is looking like the ’07 Devil Rays and giving ammunition to all those that still believe that it is a lock that the Yankees will come back and catch the Rays in the standings. The Rays showed absolutely no life, whether at the plate, in the field or on the mound. Worse, they were beat by Andy Pettite and Derek Jeter in a “playoff atmosphere” game, which just gives the Yankees and their fanbase hope that they still have a little of that 90s “magic” left in their tank. And Dioner Navarro. We know he is The Fat Catcher, but c’mon! How does anybody get thrown out at second base on a ground ball between second and third that Jeter fielded near the damn warning track! Greg Luzinski would have beat that throw. My 2-year old cousin would have beat that throw. And Scott Kazmir. Kid K are officially off of our Christmas list. Kazmir needs to get his head out of his ass and find a way to get his teammates 6 innings. 7 would be fabulous. But right now we’ll take 6. After last night, Kaz has started 5 straight games in which he couldn’t get into the 6th inning. He is not an all-star.
THE TELLING: It is 9am and we need a beer.
DEVIL RAYS WEBTOPIA…
- Evan Longoria has a slight lead at the midway point of voting for the final AL roster spot. Don’t forget to go vote. Dirtbag deserves your love. [MLB.com]
- Rays of Light brings up the question of whether or not Scott Kazmir will be available to pitch in the all-star game since he is next scheduled to pitch for the Rays on Sunday, just two days before the mid-summer classic…In all likelihood, Kid K will not pitch in the game, but Tuesday would be his normal bullpen session day, so he could conceivably use the all-star game as his bullpen session. [Rays of Light]
- Troy Percival and Al Reyes are expected to come off the DL after the All-Star break next week. [Tampa Tribune]
- ArmchairGM claims that the Rays inquired about the Rockies’ Matt Holliday, but the conversation ended quickly when the asking price was David Price. [ArmchairGM]
- The Serious Tip defends the recent influx of Rays “Bandwagon” fans. [The Serious Tip]
- The Rays sit atop USA Today’s Power Rankings for the first time, receiving 8 of 12 first-place votes. [USA Today]