THE GOOD: James Shields faced only one over the minimum in 6 of the 8 innings he pitched. That’s it. That’s the only good thing we could come up with…Oh, and Evan Longoria had 2 doubles, responsible for half of the Rays’ hits.
THE BAD: Jered Weaver? Unfortunately for the Rays, Weaver pulls one of these out of his ass once a month. In 3 previous starts this season he had thrown at least 7 shutout innings with 3 hits or fewer and yet he still had an ERA closer to 5 than 4…The top 4 hitters in the lineup were a combined 1-14 with 4 strikeouts and a walk.
THE TELLING:The Rays will go for the series win today. On the season the Rays are 12-6-3 in series. Only 4 teams have a better series mark, including the best mark of 15-3-3 by the Angels. The Rays won only 14 series in ’07, and have not won a series in Anaheim since ’99…All 5 teams in the AL East are over .500.
DEVIL RAYS WEBTOPIA…
- Don’t forget to VOTE for Carl Crawford to start the all-star game. If you haven’t voted yet today, go NOW! [MLB All-Star Voting]
- Cliff Floyd has not started the last 4 games and Joe Maddon says he is just going with the “hot bats”. Floyd is 1-12 on the road trip. [MLB]
- Troy Percival threw 30 pitches to Jonny Gomes in a simulated game and is now ready to be activated Friday. [St. Pete Times]
- Playing on the Trop’s artificial surface has been troublesome for Carl Crawford’s sore knee and likes the idea of playing one or two nights of homestands as the Rays’ DH. [MLB]
- An Angels draftee is reminding some in Nebraska of Carl Crawford. [Husker Extra]
- The Rays announced contracts with six of their draft picks, none from the first 10 ten rounds. [Rays Report]