Durham 6, Pawtucket 0. Jeremy Cummings struck out 11 and did not walk a batter in 7 shutout innings. He gave up 5 hits. Since being signed by the Rays and assigned to Durham, Cummings is 5-0 in 5 starts with a 0.84 ERA. He has allowed 15 hits and 7 walks in 32 innings, while striking out 29…Juan Salas pitched the final 2 innings…Elliot Johnsonwas 3-4 with a double and an RBI..Ben Zobrist batted third and played third base in place of Joel Guzman. He went 0-4 with a walk…Fernando Perez was 2-5 with 3 strikeouts…Dan Johnson went 2-3 with 2 walks and Reid Brignac was 0-3 with an RBI.
Montgomery 11, Carolina 4. Wade Davis picked up his 6th win with 6 innings of work. He did allow 2 runs on 9 hits and 2 walks. He struck out 4…Ryan Reid made his first appearance since being promoted to Montgomery, working 2 scoreless innings. He struck out 2 and walked 2…Sergio Pedroza hit a 3-run double and John Jaso drove in a run on 1-2 with 3 walks.
Vero Beach 3, Jupiter 1. David Price continues his domination of the FSL. In 7 shutout innings, he allowed only 3 hits and 1 walk with 6 strikeouts. The biggest threats were in the 3rd inning when he gave up back-to-back 1-out singles, and the 4th inning when he gave up a lead-off double. After the double, he retired the last 11 batters he faced. On the year now, Price has only allowed 8 hits and 2 walks with 19 strikeouts in 18 innings and he is yet to allow a run…Desmond Jennings went 2-3 in just his second game off the DL…Garrett Groce and Ryan Royster provided RBI.
Savannah 2, Columbus 1. Alex Cobb went 7 innings and only gave up 2 runs, but ropped to 6-4 on the year. He struck out 4 and did not allow a walk…The Catfish managed only 1 run on 8 hits, off a Reid Fronk solo home run…Greg Sexton added 2 hits, including his 18th double.
NOTES FROM DOWN ON THE FARM…
- Emeel Salem, Maiko Loyola and Alex Cobb were all names to the ASL All-Star team. [MiLB]
- Minor League Ball has a mock draft up and they project Tim Beckham to be drafted by the Rays. [Minor League Ball]
- Apparently there was a minor typo in the Vero Beach boxscore that had Desmond Jennings making his 2008 debut at third base. [Baseball America]
- Rays Digest breaks down the potential picks for the Rays on Thursday. [Rays Digest]
- Jeremy Cummings says he is in the best stretch he has ever had as a pro. [The Herald-Sun]