THE GOOD: Getting a last place team after having been swept by the Sox.
THE BAD: Getting the last place Toronto Blue Jays who are clearly better than their record and have actually won 5 in a row.
THE TELLING: Three games with the Jays, none of which will be started by a pitcher named James Shields or Scott Kazmir.
DEVIL RAYS WEBTOPIA…
- We use a lot of nicknames here on Rays Index and we receive the occasional email asking what a nickname means or where it came from. In response, we have now added a nickname database in the sidebar under the Cork-Board. Are there any we are missing? [Tampa Bay Rays Nicknames]
- Marc Lancaster has a big scoop with his latest piece: “For Pitchers, Arm Injuries An Occupational Hazard”…He is already working on his next piece, “The Earth Is Round”. [Tampa Tribune]
- And not to be outdone, Marc Topkin has the headline “Rays’ best may be yet to come”…Gee. Ya think? We would certainly like to think that a team that has never won more than 70 games or finished higher than 4th, has better days ahead than just a .500 record. If not, We might as well pack up shop and move to Oshkosh and root for the Cheese Herders. [St. Pete Times]
- Some Jays fans are starting to believe their own hype. Of course, we like the Rays chances with Eric Hinske on our side. Considering the love fest they have for Hinske (they have nicknamed him S#!tske)…we have a feeling the prodigal son is going yard twice in this series. [Drunk Jays Fans]
- The Rays dropped to 14th in The Sporting News power rankings. [The Sporting News]
- Were you wondering what Evan Longoria did on his off-day? No? Too bad, we’ll tell you anyway. Dirtbag live-blogged an NBA playoff game that may or may not have featured his brother-in-law. [Bugs & Cranks]
- Brian Stokes is back in the minors for the Mets as a starter and to say he is struggling is an understatement (Thanks Jordi). [MetsBlog]