THE GOOD: We can thank Brendan Harris for the 2 runs in the 6th by letting one go right through the wickets eventually letting 2 runners score. This is how bad Harris’ range is, he can’t even get balls hit right to him…Kurt Birkins looked solid in his first action for the Rays posting a 1-2-3 6th inning…Jonny Gomes got a rare start against a RHP and delivered getting on base twice in 4 plate appearances…Carl Crawford’s sliding catch in the 8th inning in foul territory.
THE BAD: Carl Crawford’s sliding catch in the 8th inning in foul territory which allowed Delmon Young to tag up and score the go-ahead run…Riggans missed a hit-and-run in the 2nd inning getting Gomes thrown out at 2nd…The Rays had a total of 4 base runners in the first 2 innings and couldn’t score a run…BJ Upton needs to have his wheels taken away from him for a while. Another caught stealing last night is already his 3rd of the year and how many other base-running gaffes has he made?…Another throwing error by Jason Bartlett but this one was just as much Carlos Pena’s fault as he tried to scoop the ball which was a little to his left rather than backhand it (remember glove is on his right hand). Usually those throws are routine for Pena.
THE TELLING: The Twins broadcast crew had their “Aflac Trivia Question” last night: “Who is the only original Ray still with the team?” The problem with that question is there are two answers. Both Mike DiFelice (their answer) and Dave Martinez (bench coach) are “still” with the Rays…Jonny Gomes got a start versus a right handed pitcher?
DEVIL RAYS WEBTOPIA…
- According to Forbes magazine the Tampa Bay Rays are worth $290 million which is just under 1/5 of the value of the New York Yankees ($1.3BB). That is ahead of only the Florida Marlins ($256MM) and just behind the Pittsburgh Pirates ($292MM). The value is up from 2007 when the Rays were worth $267 million. In 2006 the Rays were worth $209 million and $176 million in 2005. In three years the Rays’ value has increased 64.8%…Then again, 64.8% of not much is still not very much. [SI.com]
- Ten is the unlonliest number… Al Reyes is the 10th Ray to land on the DL. It didn’t take a doctor to realize that Reyes just hasn’t been all there this season. Kurt Birkins will be activated from the DL and will be the third lefty for the Rays in the ‘pen…Gotta be honest we didn’t think we would ever see Birkins in a Rays uniform. [Rays Report]
- Everybody is trying to defend Carl Crawford’s play down the left field line, including Joe Maddon (He didn’t know how close he was to the line)…Maybe so, but the Maddon’s facial expressions for about 5 minutes following the play told a completely different story. [Rays Report]
- Fire Gardy calls Carl Crawford “dumb”…That might be too far in the other direction. [Fire Gardy]
- Tristan Cockcroft of ESPN.com says that Evan Longoria is “the real deal” but wonders if the Rays will be stupid and send him back down to delay his arbitration clock…Would anybody be surprised? [ESPN]