It’s Tuesday so it is time to update the Tampa Bay Rays Power Rankings. These rankings are a combination of overall importance to the team and a general “who’s hot and who’s not”, mixed with how we currently feel about and perceive each member of the team. It is by far, the least scientific thing we do on this site…

1. Robert Rittner says:

I am not sure the Rays will be looking to replace Haynes. All I have heard is that he is a superior defensive outfielder, and with the stress on defense this year plus the questionable defense of both Hinske and Gomes in RF the Rays may be more interested in his defense than an offensive upgrade.

It is not always about who is the better player but about who fills a particular role better.

2. Anonymous says:

when will we know if balfour cleared waivers?

3. The Professor says:

it’s 10 days for DFAs, but i don’t think he is headed to the minors. his quotes made it sound like he expects to be released if he clears waivers.

4. Anonymous says:

when do the minors league seasons start?

5. Ben says:

Who’s this Murton guy? or am I reading wrong

6. The Professor says:

all four of the full-season minor league teams play their first games on thursday

Murton is Matt Murton whom the Cubbies just demoted to AAA. He is a solid bat and a decent fielder and the Rays have been rumored to be after him. Not sure if they are still interested since they just got Haynes.

7. stunna says:

A platoon in RF is news to me. I figured Hinske got the start simply because Gomes is serving his suspension from the Shirley Duncan incident. I still expect to see Gomes out there most days. Am I missing something?

8. The Professor says:

it was reported a few days ago in a couple of different places. here is one.

HERE

9. stunna says:

Ah, gotcha. Thanks for the link. Lets just hope Hinske puts up good numbers, but I still feel bad for Jonny. I don’t think he’ll ever get a good chance to show what he can do.

10. Anonymous says:

Hinske vs. Righties and Gomes vs. Lefties makes sense. I think that platoon combo with Haynes as defensive substitute is better than having Murton full time in right field. Plus Haynes can effectively play center field and Murton, from what I’ve read, cannot. Also, why would Rays fans at the Trop boo Aybar? That would just be stupid.

11. Michael Connell says:

Because a lot of fans want Longoria and Friedman is not on the field, any Aybar represents what Friedman won’t give them.