Tampa Bay Devil Dogs (36 days until opening day)
DRG here again to get you through the weekend…
Rays Anatomy interviewed David Price. It is a solid interview with good questions.
However…And this is not a jab at RA because we have seen plenty of other Q&As with Price…but when the hell is somebody going to ask him if the team is going to give him a start in Spring Training? This is the single most pressing and important question.
Has this question been asked and we have just missed it? I have asked three people and nobody remembers having seen this question asked by anybody, including the Rays beat reporters or columnists.
If the Rays even think it is possible that Price will pitch for the Rays in 2008 then they will want to see him pitch against major league batters in the Spring. And not just a few cursory batters in the 8th inning of a Spring game in which the batters are all wearing numbers north of 70. If Andrew Friedman and Joe Maddon think Price is close to being ready they will want him to start at least one Spring game and throw him to the wolves, and see how he handles the pressure. If there are no intentions to have Price in the majors in 2008 then he will most likely be reassigned to minor league camp very early.
Maybe Price won’t answer the question. But I would love it if somebody would at least ask. And I don’t want anybody to tell me that this decision has yet to be made. This has been discussed.
Rays Anatomy And The MLB Source Interview David Price [Rays Anatomy]
DEVIL DOGS WEBTOPIA…
- Delmon Young is keeping quiet after the challenge from Carl Crawford. Certainly Twins brass strongly suggested he do so. And certainly, it is killing Young to not be able to say something. It must be eating him alive and I think that is funny. [Tampa Tribune]
- Three players (Willy Aybar, Joel Guzman and Juan Salas) remain stuck in the Dominican Republic without Visas. Joe Maddon spoke to the issue and said that Salas is the one that stands to be hurt the most by his absence as he is fighting for the last spot in the bullpen. [St. Pete Times]
“The longer Salas is out,” Maddon said, “the more difficult it’s going to be for him.”
- Willy Aybar and Joel Guzman are expected in camp on Wednesday. Juan Salas is not. It is believed that his Visa issues are due to his drug suspension last year. [Tampa Tribune]
- Edwin Jackson will pitch the Grapefruit League opener on Friday. He will be followed by Scott Kazmir on Saturday and James Shields on Sunday. Kid K’s start on Saturday would have him on pace to start the season opener in Baltimore. [The Heater]
- Joe Maddon said that the decision to start Edwin Jackson has no bearing on who will make the rotation in the final two spots of the rotation. [Tampa Tribune]
- Dioner Navarro didn’t exactly change his diet. He still loves himself some fried chicken. However, he did change when he eats it (not as late at night), and apparently he looks slimmer this Spring. [Tampa Bay Rays]
- The Bradenton Herald takes a look at the other player in the Delmon Young-Matt Garza swap…Jason Bartlett. [Bradenton Herald]
- Matt Garza almost quit baseball in college. [Tampa Tribune]
- Am I the only one that is confused by this? Just askin’. [DRays Bay]