Tampa Bay Rays (17 days until pitchers and catchers report)
We hope you didn’t forget to add blueberries to your pancakes this morning. It is National Blueberry Pancake Day. But don’t worry. If you screwed that up, Joe Maddon will point out how well you tied your shoes this morning.
DEVIL RAYS WEBTOPIA…
- There was never much life to the rumors of a potential deal to send Edwin Jackson to the Mariners. If there was a pulse, news that Eric Bedard has been traded to the M’s just killed it. It is not out of the realm of possibility that the Mariners would still want Jackson, but they just acquired a much better starting pitcher and it cost them a king’s ransom (Adam Jones). [Seattle Times]
- The Rays Way argues that Evan Longoria should start the season in AAA and cites the success of Ryan Braun and the mediocrity of Ryan Braun as examples of why. [The Rays Way]
- Rays of Light points out that Marc Topkin wouldn’t make a very good General Manager. The “team” of free agents that Topkin suggests, reminds us a lot of the 2006 Royals, who brought in a bunch of “names” that people knew that really had poor career numbers. The were considered true “baseball players” and a great presence in the clubhouse. That team lost 100 games. [Rays of Light]
- Bill Madden named Andrew Friedman as one of two GMs that had the best off-season. [Daily News]
- Rays Digest points out that not everybody believes that the James Shields deal is a good one for the Rays. In addition, they project the Rays 2011 lineup, which we guess is made under the assumption that the Rays will not make any trades or sign any free agents and no players will get hurt in the next three seasons. Seems reasonable. [Rays Digest]