Tampa Bay Rays (30 days until pitchers and catchers report)
Just the links today.
DEVIL RAYS WEBTOPIA…
- We have updated our Meta-Analysis of Top Prospects to now include the “Cursory Top Prospect Post” from Rays of Light. Their post is worth a read if just to read the reasoning for making the list at the beginning of the post. They have summed up our feelings about these lists perfectly and is exactly why we did not make a list of our own and instead created the Meta-Analysis. [Rays of Light]
- The Heater is reporting that Carlos Pena is still awaiting word on the progress of negotiations for a new deal. If a deal is not reached by Friday the Rays will cease negotiating and will let an arbitrator decide Pena’s 2008 salary. While we expect a 1-year deal to be reached with Scott Kazmir prior to Friday’s deadline, we would be surprised if the Rays can reach a deal with Pena, who is represented by Scott Boras. The team also continues to negotiate with Dan Wheeler and Jonny Gomes [TampaBay.com]
- St. Pete officials submitted a request for proposals to the St. Pete City Council. The request lays out what the officials envision for the renovation of Tropicana Field and lays out exactly what they are seeking in developers that would like to head the renovation. [TampaBay.com]
- Bucs Dugout has a post comparing the current Pirate’s situation to the 2006 Tampa Bay Devil Rays. The post is an excellent review of the moves that Andrew Friedman and Co. have made since taking control of the team and how the Rays went from a laughing stock to being on the verge of
greatnessmediocrity. [Bucs Dugout]
- Joe Henderson tries to convince his readers that the Rays are on the cusp of being a competitive team. [TBO]
Best-case scenario: If things break right, the Rays could challenge Toronto for third place in the American League East. That won’t trigger many champagne showers, but after what we’ve seen here for years, it’ll do for now.
The defense up the middle should be vastly improved. Moving Akinori Iwamura to second base fills one of those spots with a potential gold glove. Shortstop Jason Bartlett, acquired in the Delmon Young trade, will get to balls that would have scooted well past Brendan Harris last season.
- The Rays have hired a firm to study the impact the proposed Rays stadium will have on local parking. [DevilRays.com]
Over the next several months, RK&K will work with the City of St. Petersburg, its residents and the Rays to analyze the relationship between existing parking locations and ballpark entry and exit routes, forecast downtown traffic volumes during event conditions, and engage the community to determine specific areas of concern. RK&K will recommend methods to ensure that adequate parking will be available for both the ballpark and its downtown environs. RR&K will also help create an effective traffic management plan to minimize congestion and provide ease of entry and exit to the ballpark.