A look back at the year that was 2007 here at Rays Index…
- Elijah Dukes was arrested for marijuana possession. How cute. We had no idea at the time but it was like seeing a baby take his first steps. Of course, only if the after the baby learned to walk, he also learned how to threaten to kill his wife and other babies.
- Many were excited (not us) at the prospect of having Edwin Jackson in the rotation and Josh Hamilton had his first workout with the Cincinnati Reds.
- Jeff Niemann and Bruce Sutter…separated at birth. Foreshadowing for a future role as the Rays closer?
- Ben Zobrist answers to “Benny Boo Boo” and his wife is an attractive Christian Rock singer.
- The St. Pete Times gets in bed with the Rays violating the newspapers code of ethics and making it difficult for the Tampa Tribune to obey theirs.
- Akinori Iwamura predicts 20 home runs and 40 stolen bases in his first season (he finished with 7 and 12).
- In a sign of things to come, the Rays commit a team record six errors during a Spring Training game.
- We found video footage of Shawn Camp and Ruddy Lugo “reading” the “Cat in the Hat” to area school children. And we are using the term “reading” very loosely.
- Rays team president Matt Silverman purchases a blogger on Ebay for $535.
- We actually thought Seth McClung could be the closer in 2007. Kinda makes us giggle and throw up a little.
- The Axis of Evil is set with Edwin Jackson winning the final spot in the rotation joining Casey Fossum and Jae Seo as one of the worst starting trios in baseball history promising to scare children for the next 3-4 months.
- The Rays name their final 25-man roster. Only five members of the everyday lineup and three members of the rotation will be the same at the end of the season.
- We call on baseball fans to jump on the Devil Rays bandwagon.
- We address the Devil Rays universe with our first annual “State of the Franchise”.
- Three games into the season and the Rays are in first place. It is the first time we have witnessed this without turning our monitor upside-down.
- The Rays were “Dishin’ Out Delmons“ and Chasing “The Charlie Hough Line”.
- We wondered aloud if James Shields was the new Devil Rays Ace.
- Wade Davis pitched a no-hitter.
- Brian Stokes was in a giving mood whenever he pitched the 9th inning.
- Juan Salas was busted for being an idiot.
- Two months into the season and the Rays Axis of Evil made up three of the eight worst pitchers in baseball.
- Elijah Dukes reaffirms his role as the Devil Rays’ mischievous little badger.
- The St. Pete Times pulls issues of paper with Elijah Dukes on the cover from the Trop.
- On June 1st, the Rays were tied with the Yankees…for last place.
- We held a mock draft and got the entire first round correct!
- Papa Joe Maddon wouldn’t even notice if a cow was rotting in his back yard.
- The Devil Rays drafted Scott Kazmir’s replacement.
- We grew so frustrated by Shawn Camp, we started wanting to hurt stuffed baby animals.
- We forgot we don’t want to be respected and actually interviewed Chad Orvella.
- We thought the Rays had hit their low at the beginning of July. That was before they went 7-20 in that month.
- Seemed like a good time to introduce our “All-Time Tampa Bay Devil Rays: 10 Years Of Sucktitude“.
- In a subtle but clear message to Elijah Dukes, the Rays gave his #35 to a journeyman reliever.
- We actually thought for a little while that Rocco Baldelli would return to the lineup in 2007. We can be so naive sometimes.
- The Rays finally cut ties with Casey Fossum.
- We found out Joe Maddon doesn’t know the Rays’ prospects very well.
- We remapped the United States of Baseball.
- We began our countdown of Scott Kazmir’s march towards 300 wins.
- James Houser was suspended for 50 games.
- We again thought Rocco Baldelli was returning to the diamond.
- Many are abuzz as Curt Schilling announced he would be willing to pitch for the Rays in 2008. We were skeptical from the beginning.
- Heath Rollins set an organizational record for wins.
- Three of the Rays top four minor league affiliates make the playoffs.
- We weren’t even aware that The Sporting News still existed. Then they interviewed us.
- The Rays picked up Joe Maddon’s two-year option.
- The Columbus Catfish win the South Atlantic League Championship.
- The Montgomery Biscuits win Southern League Championship for second straight year. Durham Bulls come up short.
- We began a campaign urging the Rays to include striped stirrups with the new uniforms.
- The new Rays uniforms are leaked onto the internet.
- Marc Lancaster thought 2+2=3,465.
- The Devil Rays clinch the worst record in baseball, winning “The 2nd Annual David Price Sweepstakes”, and becoming the first team in history to have the top pick in consecutive drafts.
- The Rays decide not to renew the contract of the winningest manager in franchise history.
- Curt Schilling releases list of 10 teams he is willing to play for. To Marc Lancaster’s amazement, the Devil Rays are not among them.
- The Devil Rays hold a two-day extravaganza to celebrate their
2007 World Championshipnew uniforms.
- The Rays front office draws attention away from new uniforms (which most fans dislike) with a shiny nugget (new stadium on the waterfront).
- Carlos Pena finished 9th in AL MVP voting.
- Marc Topkin shits on an internet trade rumor (one that had a source) as being not true, without citing any sources.
- The Rays trade Delmon Young to the Twins for Matt Garza and Jason Bartlett.
- The Rays sign a real major league relief pitcher. Of course a year ago he was retired, but that’s ok.
- The Rays finally trade Elijah Dukes.
- We find what may be the Rays alternate cap in 2009 and speculate on what the uniform may look like.
- Senator Mitchell did not realize there was a major league franchise in Tampa Bay.
- Continuing the unusual trend of acquiring major league talent, the Rays signed Cliff Floyd.
- Raymond raises suspicions of using fur-enhancing drugs, may appear in Jose Canseco’s next book.