Tampa Bay Devil Rays (66-96)
DEVIL RAYS WEBTOPIA…
- Marc Lancaster is reporting that the Rays will feature an alternate jersey in 2009 and it will have “Tampa Bay” written across the front. [TBO]
- Baseball America previews the quarterfinals of the World Cup. Team USA is the top seed and will face Korea today. [Baseball America]
Evan Longoria (Rays) has rotated with LaRoche between playing third base and DH, and the 2006 No. 3 overall pick is 10-for-28 with two home runs, a triple and two doubles (.357/.379/.714). The former Long Beach State shortstop has also shown good defensive skills at third base.
Outfielder Justin Ruggiano (Rays), who made the team after Minor League Player of the Year Jay Bruce (Reds) dropped out to nurse a sore hamstring, hit two home runs in Team USA’s 10-7 victory over host Taiwan in the final game of pool play. With a team-best three home runs, Ruggiano is 7-for-20 with a .350/.480/.800 line.
- If there is anyplace that prospects get together you can be sure Baseball America will make a list. This time it is the “Arizona Fall League Top 20 Prospects”. Both Evan Longoria (2) and Reid Brignac (7) made the list. Brignac made the list despite going 1-642 (or something like that). [Baseball America]
- In an informal meeting, the Rays presented Bud Selig with their plans for a new stadium on the site of Al Lang Field. [tampabay.com]
- The Devil Rays have announced several changes in the last week. New Uniforms. A New Name. A New Stadium. That leaves only one more change that needs to be announced. A new sport. Maybe the Tampa Bay Rays would be more competitive as a minor league hockey team. However, we are not sure Carl Crawford’s speed would be best utilized as a goalie. Not to mention he has a below-average glove. [The Onion]