The time is almost here when the Tampa Bay Devil Rays will announce to the world what we already know. And boy, you would have thought the Rays were set to announce the acquisition of Alex Rodriguez, Johan Santana, Mariano Rivera and the 2008 World Series.

New uniforms. New colors. New logo. New name. Everything is new and Tampa Bay has an All-Star weekend planned to unveil their changes to the public…The festivities kick off on Thursday afternoon in downtown St. Petersburg’s Straub Park, in a free night of excitement for fans of all ages. At 4 p.m. ET the interactive activities kick off the evening…At 5:30 p.m., manager Joe Maddon, Hall of Famer Wade Boggs and former Ray Fred McGriff will hit the catwalk to model the Rays’ new uniforms, logos and colors…Next is a special treat for any baseball fan, but especially those of classic baseball movies. At 6:30 p.m., Kevin Costner and his band, Modern West, will take the stage for a rock-and-roll concert…Thursday evening will conclude with an 8 p.m. fireworks show, but that’s only Day 1 of the entertainment.

That’s right folks. That is just day 1…with fireworks and Kevin Costner. Day 2 is even more jam-packed with F.U.N., including autograph sessions (you won’t want to miss Al Reyes and Dan Wheeler at Southgate Plaza), a picnic and free backrubs from Joe Maddon*.

We like to give the Red Sox and their Nation a lot of crap around these parts for being over-the-top and throwing their greatness in our faces all the time, but when they won their second title in four years, all they scheduled was a parade on some Duck Boats. As far as we know, the only fireworks were in Jonathon Papplebon’s pants.

We are still not sure if we are going to make it out for the festivities. We have a Kevin Costner Shitty Movie Marathon scheduled for those two days, including Water World and The Postman.

*Might have just been a dream we had last night.

Rays giving fans glimpse of new image [Devil Rays]
The New Tampa Bay Rays Uniforms [Rays Index]
Now appearing…[tampabay.com]

1. Anonymous says:

Maybe Bruce Willis will show up and we can have a Battle of Overrated Actors With Bands

2. Clayton says:

So does that mean that you don't want the Navarro-signed churro then? Well, okay, but it will go straight to my hips.

I would like to add Dog Star (Keanu) and Juliette Lewis's band to the celebrity battle of the bands. Recall that Bruce Willis did have a Top 5 hit: http://youtube.com/watch?v=ni90iL81wTQ.

3. Big Mike says:

What? Russell Crowe's band wasn't available?

Oh that's right. He is probably busy filming a good movie.

4. The Professor says:

overrated? You obviously didnt see Robin Hood...Best British accent EVAH!

And will take a rain-check on the Navi Churro, even though I do love me some churro.

5. Elijah's 6th Love Child says:

From what I understand, the entire Rays bullpen couldn't hit water if they fell out of a f***ing boat

6. Anonymous says:

I’m embarrassed , annoyed, and disgusted by the name and uniform change on so many personal levels. None of it was necessary to begin with. The D-Rays have a hard enough time dealing with the transplants and bandwagon posers as it is. Now ownership has taken the next illogical step in alienating the true fans and native Floridians by basically destroying whatever identity the D-Rays already had. You drop ‘Devil’ from the name thinking it will somehow encourage more people to attend? Sucking up to the religious right will win elections, but it won’t boost attendance. And neither will putting those unholy abominations of a uniform on the field. We had something unique and original, and apparently that wasn’t good enough. What they came up with angers me, because it’s obvious that no thought went into it what so ever. Especially as far as marketability is concerned. My guess is ownership said “We’re gonna change the colors and logo.”, and an intern gave them a picture of what we have now. And I pray it was an unpaid intern, because if they actually paid someone to come up with that, it explains why we lose 90 games a year. The problem was never the look. That part we actually had right. I can’t express enough how much I hate these uniforms. It’s the worst parts of every bad uniform from the early 80’s. It has nothing that makes it special. The T on the hat looks just like the one the rangers use, and the color scheme is beyond horrible. Blue on blue sucks no matter what, and the sunburst makes me hate it more. And they had the nerve to just cut and paste that generic logo on the road uniform. They have no style, and no soul. The D-Rays are my team now and forever, but now it’s going to be hard to look at them. I would not want to wear it as a player, and I sure as hell won’t be buying ANYTHING short of tickets. I hope everyone else stands up for this, and I hope the green comes back next year. The longer they wear these, the harder it will be to go. I’m sorry, but this is an insult to me as a fan of our team.