Norfolk 2, Durham 1 (game 1). JP Howell struck out 6 in 5 innings, but picked up the loss. Evan Longoria was 1-3 with a double and Jason Pridie drove in the only run.
Durham 8, Norfolk 3 (game 2). Jeff Niemann struck out 6 in 5.2 innings to win his 12th game. He allowed 3 runs (2 earned) on 5 hits and no walks. Evan Longoria was 0-2, but walked twice, scored 2 runs and drove in a run. Raul Cassanova was 3-4 with 5 RBI.
Daytona 4, Vero Beach 3. Jackson Brennan was 2-3 and hit his 9th home run.
Columbus 5, Savannah 3. After 12 starts with Princeton Jeremy Hall made his first start with Columbus and pitch 6 strong innings, giving up 1 run on 4 hits. He did walk 4 batters while striking out 4. Ryan Royster was 2-4 and is now hitting .325 with 28 home runs and 96 RBI.
Hudson Valley 9, Oneonta 6. Cody Cipriano was 3-5 with 2 doubles and an RBI.
Princeton 12, Elizabethton 2. Michael Ross was 0-3, but did walk twice and scored 3 runs. He also stole his 33rd and 34th bases of the season in 55 games.
NOTES FROM DOWN ON THE FARM…
- The Montgomery Biscuits game versus Carolina was postponed.
- Evan Longoria is trying not to let his new found fame get to his head. [The News & Observer]
“I’ve never been highly touted or a big prospect — until now,” said Longoria, who who went to Long Beach State and was the third overall pick in the 2006 draft. “I’ve always had to work to get where I am.
“I didn’t really have a scholarship out of high school. I had to work to get to a Division I school. Those things humbled me and make me work harder every day and try a little harder than the next guy.”
- Kevin Gengler takes a close look at the Durham Bulls and their push for the playoffs. [Tampa Bay’s Tomorrow]
- He does the same with the Montgomery Biscuits. [Tampa Bay’s Tomorrow]
- On Sunday, Jake McGee moved to 3-1 in four AA starts throwing 7 shutout innings, striking out 9 and walking none. [MiLB]
- On Friday, Heath Rollins became the first minor leaguer to record 16 wins. In doing so, we believe he also set a Devil Rays organizational record. [MiLB]