Charotte 7, Durham 3. Jeff Niemann dropped to 9-5 in his last start before the Major League Baseball future’s game on Monday, as he failed to finish the 4th inning. In 3.2 innings, Niemann allowed 8 hits including 2 home runs, and 3 walks, leading to 4 runs. He struck out only 1 and now has an ERA of 3.75. BJ Upton returned to the field after suffering from a fever and missing two games. He batted second and went 2-4 with 2 singles and a strike out.
Montgomery 11, Mobile 8. Richard De Los Santos was returned to Montgomery after a recent promotion to Durham to fill the vacant spot in the rotation left by the departure of James Houser. De Los Santos, making his first start of the year, gave up 3 runs (2 earned) in 3.2 innings on 4 hits and a walk. He struck out 2. Matt Spring and Shawn Cumberland homered for the Biscuits. Gabriel Martinez went 3-5 with 3 RBI. Reid Brignac was 0-3 with 2 walks and 2 runs scored, while Evan Longoria was 1-5 with 2 strike outs.
Charleston 6, Columbus 3. Heath Rollins struck out 4 in 6 innings and allowed 1 unearned run on 5 hits and 1 walk. Ryan Royster was 2-4 to raise his average to .324. Desmond Jennings was 0-4 and Nevin Ashley was 0-3.
Burlington 7, Princeton 4.
NOTES FROM DOWN ON THE FARM…
- Kevin Gengler of Tampa Bay’s Tomorrow has some predictions for some of the Rays top minor league prospects.
- James Houser was placed on the Temporarily Inactive List after his father suffered a heart attack. His father is in stable condition.
- Dale Thayer, who set the Southern League record for saves in a season in 2006, is 15 for 17 in save opportunities this season.
- Reid Brignac has 17 errors on the season, but has played error-free in the last 8 games.
- Wednesday’s game for the Vero Beach Rays was postponed due to rain. They will play a double-header today.
- Wednesday’s game for the Hudson Valley Renegades was postponed due to rain. They will play a double-header today.