Elijah Dukes currently leads all major league rookies with eight home runs and is considered one of the best athletes in baseball. Dukes, who had numerous run-ins with the law throughout his minor league career, including a January arrest for marijuana possession, and has been suspended by the Devil Rays at least 5 times, is in trouble again. He is now accused of threatening to kill his wife and her kids.
Nishea Gilbert, one of four women with which Dukes has five children (two were born eight days apart) has now filed two separate restraining orders against him, saying she feels her’s and her children’s lives are in danger. Below is one of the messages that Gilbert saved on her phone.
Hey, dawg. It’s on, dawg. You dead, dawg. I ain’t even bulls——-. Your kids too, dawg. It don’t even matter to me who is in the car with you. N—–, all I know is, n—–, when I see your m—–f——- a– riding, dawg, it’s on. As a matter of fact, I’m coming to your m—–f—— house.
Apparently worried that his point did not come across clear enough, Dukes then sent his wife a picture of a handgun (seen below). He is also accused of barging into a middle school, at which wife is a teacher, in the middle of a school day and threatening her. The school has since banned Dukes from the campus.
- Left voice mails threatening to kill his wife and kids
- Sent at least one picture of a handgun
- Entered a middle school, while classes were in session, and threatened to kill his wife
- Has been arrested six times
- Has 5 children with 4 different women
- Was suspended two times in 2006 for run-ins with coaches and teammates
- Suspended two times in 2005 by the AA Southern League
- Suspended in 2004 for a month after a confrontation with a coach
At this rate, Elijah Dukes should be playing for the Cincinnati Bengals this fall.
[UPDATE] For a humorous take on this story, see Deadspin’s post and read the comments section.