|Boston Red Sox||16||8||-||7-3||W1||–|
|Toronto Blue Jays||13||12||3.5||5-5||W2||135|
|Tampa Bay Devil Rays||11||14||5.5||5-5||W1||133|
|New York Yankees||9||14||6.5||2-8||L1||133|
Blue Jays 6, Rangers 1. Roy Halladay pitched a complete game. How rare is that these days, especially this early in the season? There are 20 teams that are yet to have a pitcher throw a complete game. Roy Halladay? HE HAS TWO! If Halladay wins the Cy Young this season, the Jays will look like geniuses. If Halladay is on the DL by the all-star break? well, oops.
NOTES FROM AROUND THE AL EAST…
- General George S. Steinbrenner released his missive yesterday, and while he is not happy with the team, Joe Torre and Brian Cashman have his support.
It is time to put excuses and talk away. It is time to see if people are ready to step up and accept their responsibilities. It is time for all of them to show me and the fans what they are made of. Let’s get going. Let’s go out and win and bring a world championship back to New York. That’s what I want.- George Steinbrenner
- It is Boston’s other Japanese import that is causing the Yankees grief.
- The benches cleared last night in the O’s/Tigers matchup after the ultra-sensitive Miguel Tejada thought an inside pitch was a little too close.
- Jaret Wright. $3 million well-spent. It is May 1, and Wright is beginning his second stint on the DL, already.
- Gustavo Chacin is latest Blue Jay to hit the DL.
- Tampa Jesuit graduate, Dave Magadan, has the Red Sox hitting on all cylinders.