Devil Rays 6, Orioles 4. We said going into this series that the Rays needed to win two out of three. Anything less and they would be digging themselves a hole that would be difficult to get out of, both in terms of standings and psychologically. After Monday night’s debacle (which still gives us the shakes) up steps Casey Fossum. Casey Fossum? Fossum had his second straight strong performance and did exactly what the team needed. He kept the O’s in check and got to Brian Stokes with a comfortable lead. Stokes did surrender a 3-run home run to the first batter he faced, but settled down to get out of the 8th and Al Reyes is looking like one of the best closers in baseball right now. He is now 5-5 on save opportunities and in those 5 appearances he has thrown 5 innings and given up 1 hit and 1 walk and struck out 7.
- Has anybody noticed that Brendan Harris has started three straight games (Two at shortstop)? He went 2-4 last night batting in the 2-hole and is hitting .444 in limited action. At this point Harris is not far from being the Rays starting shortstop.
- Right now, Akinori Iwamura is the Rays MVP and people are starting to notice. Many thought Daiusuke Matsuzaka would run away with the Rookie-of-the-Year, or maybe it would be the Rays other big rookie Delmon Young. If the vote was today, Aki should win.
- The second installment of Aki’s diary. Hard not to like this guy.
- Another person that is incapable of creating an original thought. We present you The Flock Blog.
Tropicana Field. The ugliest field in the majors
We will go ahead and lay odds at 250:1 that this writer has never even been to the Trop. And even on the off-chance that he has, we guarantee they have not been to every stadium in baseball. If they had, they would surely know that the Trop (especially after the last 2 years worth of renovations) is leaps and bounds better than the Metrodome, Shea Stadium, RFK and Dolphin Stadium.
- A professor at Detroit-Mercy graded every major league team on their game promotions. While two teams received A+ grades, the Devil Rays were one of only three teams to receive an A.
- Devil Rays are a fish and mammals have hair…so what exactly is Raymond? Yeah, we don’t know either.