Devil Rays 6, Cleveland 5.
After last night’s victory the Rays have another opportunity to win a series when James Shields takes the mound. Last night the Rays battled back from an early 2-0 deficit and rebounded after blowing a 5-2 lead. Jae Seo picked up just his second win as a Devil Ray, but gave up 5 runs in 6 innings. Four pitchers combined to shut down the Indians over the last 3 innings, including another perfect 9th by Al Reyes for his 6th save in 6 chances. Ty Wigginton went 3-4 with his 4th homer and Delmon Young and BJ Upton each added 2 hits. Upton raised his average to .340.
- Ben Zobrist was dropped form the 2-hole to the 8th spot. In reality, he should just be happy he was in the lineup. Without BenZo in the lineup, Joe Maddon will utilize the spot much differently.
- Travis Hafner continues to beat up on the Rays.
- The Rays have only had one game decided by more than 4 runs (12-5 loss to Twins).
- Everybody loves the Rays lineup. So do we, but it is like icing on a cake. The icing is great, but doesn’t do much without a cake to cover. The Rays are still the only team in baseball with an ERA over 6.
- Jake Westbrook goes to the mound for the Indians today. In his last start, his first after signing a contract extension, he gave up three home runs and 8 runs in 1.2 innings.
- A Mets fan actually attended a game at the Trop before passing judgment and came to the conclusion that it is not that bad.
- Should we feel bad for the interpreter when he tells the press that Aki Iwamura wants to speak English fluently? When that happens, the interpreter is out of a job.
- If you were running the Devil Rays, what would your 2009 lineup look like?