Toledo 7, Durham 4 (16 inn.). Lucky Vero Beach. The Rays had Sunday off while all three of the other minor league affiliates worked overtime. In Durham, Jeff Niemann gave up 3 runs in 5 innings and struck out 8. Seth McClung and Chad Orvella pitched a combined 5 hitless innings with 2 walks and 6 strikeouts. Jorge Cantu was 3-7. Joel Guzman was 2-5 with his 2nd home run.
Huntsville 2, Montgomery 1 (11 inn.). Derek Feldkamp struck out 5 and gave up 1 run in 5 innings. Reid Brignac was 1-4 with a walk and is now hitting .327. Evan Longoria was 2-5 and is hitting .310.
Columbus 8, Rome 3 (16 inn). Woods Fines struck out 5 in 6 innings allowing 1 run. Desmond Jennings was 4-7 to raise his average to .313.
NOTES FROM DOWN ON THE FARM…
- The Bulls are a mirror-image of the themselves from last year. The 2006 squad needed to outscore their opponents. This year’s team is doing it with pitching and defense. Of course at 7-11 and last in the IL South, the results are about the same.
- Will Reid Brignac and Evan Longoria make an appearance at the Trop this fall? Probably not, but the idea of an infield from left-to-right of Longoria-Brignac-Iwamura is mouth-watering.
- John Sickels breaks down the potential of Reid Brignac.
- Oreo Man and Scooby Doo made appearances in Durham last night. Oreo Man?
- The 16-inning marathon was the longest in the history of the Durham Bulls Athletic Park.