- Another loss. Want a good reason to hate the Trop? Based on the Spring results so far (1 win came during rain-shortened game) and the inept bullpen, the Rays will go 162-0 if every game were to be shortened due to rain. Maybe they can force a leak in the roof?
- Of all the bad signs so far, this one may be the most disturbing. Akinori Iwamura asked to be removed from the game yesterday after his first at bat because he was too tired from playing five straight games.
- The proverbial axe has fallen on the first set of healthy players (Injured pitchers Shinji Mori and Doug Waechter were reassigned last week). In all 10 players were reassigned with the most prominent names being Jeff Niemann and Mitch Talbot who were optioned to Durham and Evan Longoria, Reid Brignac and Andy Sonnanstine who were assigned to minor league camp. No surprises here as none of this players have seen any playing time above AA.
- We cringe whenever we see a story about the Rays in one of the New York City tabloids. They tend to be full of sound and fury, signifying nothing. Today, the New York Daily News lives up to the rep with a rather scathing article about the Rays which comes off as a very uninformed piece by a writer that does not know what he is talking about. For example, the writer suggests that Rays should have invested in a starting pitcher such as Steve Trachsel or John Thomson. Trachsel is 36 and has lost more than 15 games in a season as many times (1) as he has won more than 15 games in a season. Thomson won two games has won a combined 6 games the past two seasons. Those are not upgrades. Those are free agent signings for the sake of signing free agents.
- Joe Maddon doesn’t feel the pressure to have a left hander in the ‘pen. Sorry Jeff Ridgway your stock just took a big hit.
- Raise your hand if you want a Seth McClung bobblehead doll. Aren’t you listening. I SAID A SETH MCCLUNG BOBBLEHEAD! Don’t be shy…you know you want one. Well, if you do, head on over to Princeton, West Virginia on July 23, for the Princeton Rays Seth McClung bobblehead night.