Courtesy of Paul Lukas of Uniwatch here is a shot of Akinori Iwamura wearing Oakley Thumps, with built-in MP3 player during warm-ups.
- Don’t look now, but the Rays have all of a sudden won three of their last five. Yesterday’s 7-0 victory over Cleveland was their best all-around performance of the spring as the pitchers gave up only a single hit and the offense cranked out 14.
- Well, this can’t be good. Rocco Baldelli left yesterday’s game with a tight hamstring. Hamstring problems kept Rocco out of the lineup for the first two months of 2006.
- Jae Seo pitched six shutout innings, allowing only one hit in a AAA game.
- Joe Maddon unveiled his “new” lineup yesterday. By “new” we of course mean, “an awful lot like last year”, with Carl Crawford leading off, Ben Zobrist playing the role of Jay Bell as an “old-school” #2 hitter, Rocco Baldelli hitting third and Ty Wigginton hoping there are ducks on the pond when he gets up to bat in the #4 spot.
- Joe Maddon has been surprised by Akinori Iwamura’s speed. Maybe Muu-Rah was on to something when he said his goal for 2007 was to hit 20 home runs and steal 40 bases.
- We didn’t realize that a formal announcement was necessary, but Joe Maddon has named Scott Kazmir the opening day starter. Whew! Now we can sleep better at night. Maybe Papa Joe should go ahead and name Kid K the opening day starter for each of the next three seasons.
- 90 losses and the Rays would tie the all-time record for consecutive seasons of 90+ losses.