- The Rays had another rough loss yesterday, falling to the Tribe 10-2. Joel Guzman hit his first home run of the Spring and Carl Crawford stole two bases. We may have jinxed Jeff Ridgway yesterday by saying that he could grab one of the last bullpen spots because he is left handed. He responded by giving up 3 hits, 4 walks and 5 runs in 1 inning. Not good.
- Jon Switzer took a line drive off his wrist from the only batter he faced. X-rays were negative.
- Josh Hamilton had his first rough game of the Spring going 0-3 with a walk against the Yankees. The o-fer included only his second strike out.
- The Rays made their first two “cuts” of the Spring by reassigning Doug Waechter and Shinji Mori to minor league camp. Both players are returning from surgery and will not be ready to pitch during the first part of the season.
- Rays fans will get a look at two future members of the Rays rotation this afternoon when Jeff Niemann and Mitch Talbot take the mound against the Pirates.
- Papa Joe Maddon’s new lineup with Rocco Baldelli-Delmon Young-Carl Crawford as the 1-2-3 hitters may already be old news as Maddon is now leaning towards swapping C. C. and Delmon permanently. The move makes sense. We have always thought that Crawford was a natural 3-hitter despite his speed. In this case, C. C. and Delmon are very similar hitters, but Crawford has a little more speed and Young has a little more power. The move also creates righty-lefty-righty situation with Baldelli at the top.
- Joel Guzman is excited to be back in the infield, having dropped 20 pounds in the off-season to increase his range and mobility at third base.
- Carl Crawford says that his wrists are fine but he is still treating them everyday for tendinitis. Let’s hope it is only precautionary.
- Yesterday we introduced many of you to Manny Stiles. His first rant on the Rays is up here. Enjoy. He says this isn’t just a shtick. He promises that he is a full-fledged Rays fan now. It’s a hard life Manny.