- The Rays finally beat the Twinkies last night 4-2. Geez, it seems like it has been over two years since we took a game from Minnesota. Oh wait.
- Carlos Silva was cruising with 6 shutout innings, but had to be removed before the 7th due to stomach cramps. He had allowed only 1 hit and a walk. The Rays best weapon has always been having the opposing team’s pitcher go to Ybor City the night before a game. It helped last night as the Rays tied the game and took the lead in the 7th on back-to-back home runs by Ty Wiggington and Greg Norton. 14 of Wiggy’s 20 home runs have either tied the game or given the Rays the lead. It was only the 4th time in team history that back-to-back home runs had tied the game and given the Rays the lead, but the second this season.
- B. J. Upton did something amazing last night. He did NOT commit an error. First time in a week, actually first time in his last 7 starts. Yikes.
- Shawn Camp picked up the win, his 7th. He is now second on the team in wins, behind only Scott Kazmir. Did we mention he is a relief pitcher?
- Shinji Mori was in the dugout last night and will be for the remaining home games this season. That is really not the interesting part. The interesting thing is the caption at the bottom of this story is “Familiar Face Returns”. Familiar Face? He was injured in Spring Training and has never played a regular season game for the Rays. On top of that 19 of the 30 players currently on the roster were not with the team on opening day. We are thinking that Mori was not too familiar to anybody.
- The Baltimore Orioles magic number for clinching 4th place in the AL East is 18. OK, OK…That is a pipe dream. But has anybody noticed that the Rays are now tied with the Pirates for the second worst record and only 4.5 games ahead of Kansas City for the worst record in baseball? Oh dear lord.
- First the Rays Turn Back the Clock and wore the former Minor League Tampa Tarpons uniforms (queue the Minor League team jokes), then they have a fashion show, and now this? What’s next? A Dr. Phil bobblehead promotion?