- We promise not to rag on the nouveau Red Sox fans this time. And we promise to limit the number of time that refer the team as the Duke Blue Devil of Baseball (The Red Devils). It just doesn’t seem right to kick somebody while they are down. The poor Red Devils fans…They get walk-off wins left and right and they still end the week a game behind the Yankees. It’s like somebody upstairs is trying to remind you that just because your team won one World Series…They are still the Red Sox, and the Red Sox belong in 2nd place in the AL East, 1 game behind the Yankees. They just split a 4-game set with the Native Americans and have lost 5 of 8.
- The Devil Rays are 45-164, 84 games out of first place. The Rays are so far behind the Yankees (did we mention that the Yankees are in 1st place and not the Red Sox?) its like they brought a tricycle to a Indy car race. But hey! The D-Rays are better than the Royals!
- The Devil Rays have not won 2 straight games since July 22, and are 7-17 since winning 3 straight versus the Red Sox at The Pit just prior to the All-Star break. Over that span the Rays have the worst record, the worst ERA and the worst batting average in baseball. That sounds like a winning combo! Earlier today we noted that the Rays attendance was up almost 30% from last year. Well, with stats like those, the team is trying real hard to reverse that trend of rising attendance.
- Do we sound bitter?
- After the recent transactions, the Rays now have 17 players on their active roster that were not in the organization last season.
- Finally! Carl Crawford turns 25 tomorrow!! Woohoo! We can finally stop hearing about where C. C. ranks on the lists of things accomplished before turning 25. The 7th most steals before 25…The 11th most triples before 25…The most “before they were 25″ lists before 25…blah blah blah
- The Scarlett Hose just acquired Javy Lopez from the Oriole’s after losing Jason Varitek to an injury.
- This is the Red Sox fans we know and love. After falling out of first place, at least one fan over at Fire Brand of the American League is nervous about facing the D-Rays.
Friday, 7:15 et
Boston Curt Schilling, RHP (13-4, 3.84)
Devil Rays James Shileds, RHP (4-5, 5.43)
Saturday, 7:15 et
Boston David Wells, LHP (0-1, 11.08)
Devil Rays Casey Fossum, LHP (5-4, 4.89)
Sunday, 1:15 et
Boston Jason Johnson, RHP (3-11, 6.25)
Devil Rays J. P. Howell, LHP (0-1, 14.73)