- The Rays open the second half of the season 39-50, 15 games behind the AL East leading Boston Red Devils and 1 game behind the Horioles.
- The Angels ended the first half, having won 8 of their last 9 games to pull within 2.5 games of Oakland and Texas in the AL West.
- We think that the cousin of Angels prospect Howie Kendrick is behind the Angels’ Blog, Chronicles of the Lads. For a team that is one of the hottest in baseball, their only post in the last few days is an epic rant about demoting Adam Kennedy in favor of Kendrick. Never mind that most playoff contenders look for veteran players in exchange for minor league prospects this time of year. Of course! Why wouldn’t a team want to demote a proven veteran and give a prospect his first big league experience in the heat of a pennant race?
- The writers over at Halos Heaven have predicted tonight’s score to be 6-1 with the Angels out-hitting the Rays 14-5. hmmmm? Not sure if they have ever predicted an Angels’ loss.
- The Angels pitchers have allowed 3 or fewer runs in 20 of last 33 games and lead the AL in ERA (4.05).
- L.A. leads the AL in errors and is second in wild pitches, leading to the most unearned runs allowed in the Majors.
- The Angels took 2 of 3 from Tampa June 5-7.
- In his last start John Lackey gave up a leadoff double and then retired the next 27 batters he faced.
- This series marks Joe Maddon’s first return to Anaheim since leaving the franchise after 12 seasons as a coach for the Angels.
Friday, 10:05 et
Devil Rays Jae Seo, RHP (2-6, 5.22)
Los Angeles John Lackey, LHP (7-5, 2.88)
Saturday, 10:05 et
Devil Rays Scott Kazmir, LHP (10-6, 3.27)
Los Angeles Ervin Santana, RHP (10-3, 3.96)
Sunday, 3:35 et
Devil Rays James Shields, RHP (4-2, 4.89)
Los Angeles Bartolo Colon, RHP (1-4, 4.57)