- The Devil Rays swept the Marlins at the Trop on May 19-21.
- Tampa is 33-43, 13 games behind the Red Sox and 1.5 games behind the Orioles.
- The Marlins are 32-40, 13.5 games behind the New York Mets. Florida just lost 2 of 3 at Yankee Stadium, including a split of a Sunday day-night double header. They have won 21 of 30.
- The Rays are 9-3 in interleague play this season and Florida is 6-6.
- The Devil Rays will throw two lefties in this series. The Marlins are 5-11 this season against southpaws.
- Tampa will not have face Dontrelle Willis who threw against the Yankees on Sunday. Rookie of the Year candidate Dan Uggla will also miss the series with a sore hamstring.
- Six Yankees will make more this season that the entire Florida Marlins roster ($14 million).
- The Rays have batted .270 as a team since Rocco Baldelli’s return. They batted .240 prior to his return. In those 12 games, the team has recorded at least 10 hits 11 times. In their first 59 games they did that 13 times.
- In only 5 starts this season, James Shields leads AL rookies in wins. Tonight he will attempt to be the first Devil Ray ever to win 5 games in a single month.
- Marlins Blogs are not getting too excited about this series. Fish Chunks went with the sarcastic route, while Fish Stripes decided on the National Spelling Bee preview.
Monday, 7:05 et
Devil Rays James Shields, RHP (4-0, 3.00)
Florida Josh Johnson, RHP (6-4, 2.01)
Tuesday, 7:05 et
Devil Rays Scott Kazmir, LHP (9-4, 3.21)
Florida Ricky Nolasco, RHP (5-4, 3.15)
Wednesday, 7:05 et
Devil Rays Casey Fossum, LHP (2-3, 5.25)
Florida Scott Olsen, LHP (6-3, 4.60)