- Tampa is 2-5 against the Orioles this season, having met in 7 of the first 10 games of the season.
- For the 2nd straight week, a Devil Ray was named AL player of the week. Last week it was Scott Kazmir. This week, Carl Crawford was named co-player of the week with Tiger’s pitcher Justin Verlander. This is the 10th time a D-Ray has been so honored. Last week, Crawford hit .484-3-5-8. Only once (1999-3) have the Rays had more than 2 honorees.
- The Rays enter the final leg of their longest roadtrip of the season (10 games). They are 1-6 so far and 9-19 on the road this season.
- Tampa has lost 4 straight on 3 occasions this season. They have yet to lose 5 straight.
- The Rays are 1-7 in Doug Waechter’s 8 starts and he has not won a start on the road since September of 2004. However, he did have his best outing of 2006 at home against Baltimore on April 13. He went 6 innings and gave up only 1 run. He failed to get a decision as the Rays lost 6-5.
- James Shields will make his major league debut tomorrow night. Shields, 25, was the 16th round pick of the Rays in 2000, is a 6’4″ righty. He is not overpowering but has shown remarkable control at Durham, with a 64:6 strikeout to walk ratio in 61.1 innings. He has walked more than one in a start only once (2) and has struck out 10 in two of past three starts.
- Jorge Cantu began his rehab assignment last night for AA Montgomery. He DH’d and went 0-3 with a walk and strikeout. He is scheduled to play 7 innings tonight at 2B.
- SP Daniel Cabrera (2-2, 5.23 ERA) is on the 15-day DL and will miss this series. OF Jay Gibbons, (.268-10-29) is listed as day-to-day with an injured knee. There is a chance he could be in the lineup tonight.
- Tonight’s starter Rodrigo Lopez, was the Orioles’ opening day starter picking up the win against the Devil Rays in Camden Yards. He went 7 innings, giving up 7 hits and 5 runs. In his last start, in Seattle, he had his best start of the year, throwing 7.1 innings of 2-hit shutout ball.
- Bruce Chen worked into the 8th in his only start against Tampa this season at the Trop. He gave up 5 hits and 5 runs, failing to pick up a decision in the O’s 6-5 win. In his last start against the Angels, he received a no-decision as he went 6 innings, giving up 5 hits and 2 runs.
- Eric Bedard has 2 of his 5 wins against the Rays this season, including a start in Tampa in which he pitched 7 shutout innings. He had his worst outing of the season in his last start, failing to get out of the 4th against the Angels. He gave up 10 hits and 6 runs, taking the loss.
Tuesday, 7:05 et
Devil Rays Doug Waechter, RHP (0-3, 6.43)
Baltimore Rodrigo Lopez, RHP (2-7, 7.16)
Wednesday, 7:05 et
Devil Rays James Shields, RHP (0-0, 0.00)
Baltimore Bruce Chen, LHP (0-5, 7.40)
Thursday, 7:05 et
Devil Rays Scott Kazmir, LHP (7-3, 2.86)
Baltimore Eric Bedard, LHP (5-4, 5.67)